Saturday, June 25, 2005



Good Bye My Friend


Got a call at the office today from my husband, our life long friend, Nancy had suddenly died. I am saddened by this news for more than the obvious reasons. You see Nancy had over come many obstacles in her life just recently, and she seemed to be moving on, moving into a better place in life, both mentally and physically.

Due to her health she had all but quit leaving her home many years ago. She did not work, although she did run a day care for years when my boys were young...that too had come to a halt as she became more and more ill. Depression was a battle as her health failed her. We would talk on the phone from time to time but I did not see her. One time when I went to her home, she did not answer the door. I know she was there, this was not unusual.

Just over 2 years ago she had a surgery that her doctor told her would save her life, without the surgery she would be gone in a few short wks, she was also told that she had a "very high possibility" of not survive the surgery itself. Bill and Nancy, and their 3 adult children decided this had to be done, they had to take the chance of surviving the surgery to give her a chance at living. Remarkably she pulled through the surgery in great shape, and she began to live!!

Suzy, another friend, took Nancy's recovery on with personal care. Suzy visited Nancy at her home DAILY, when Nancy was able to get out of her house, Suzy would stop by and they would go for rides all over town 2-3 times a wk, they would frequently stop by the church for Nancy to pray in the sanctuary, Nancy had not be in the church building for years. I enjoyed these times because it always included a visit to my office.

They would go for walks, first just a block or two...then I heard they were walking for a mile or so. Her health was returning.

Nancy was soon out driving around on her own. Then I heard she was working!!! She had gotten a job in a little coastal town not far from our little town as a CNA - - AMAZING!

Nancy and Bill would be seen all over the place, they once again had a social life. I would see them driving around town, laughing and carrying on like two teens in love with not a care in the world.

I don't know what happened...in the last little while she was beginning to battle depression once again. Things were getting rough for her. Headaches were a part of her daily life, not just mild ones, but ones that she sought medical help for. She struggled emotionally with choices their children had made and the conseqenices of those choices. Nancy had once again slipped into the giving up mode. She just did not want to fight any longer.

Sad, so very sad...words can not express my mixed emotion of joy for the past 2 years of watching her regain her health...and sadness that she died so soon, missing so many more years of grandchildren and loving her husband, Bill.

Good-bye my friend Nancy Reed. I will miss your jolly laughter, I will miss seeing your victories, I will miss knowing you are enjoying life and health.

0 Secrets:

Post a Comment


Blessings! from Pam...

Back to the main page