Monday, August 29, 2005



The Homeless

I have always carried a burden for the homeless. Not the poor who live in substandard housing, but those who actually make their home under a bridge, carrying every bit of their possessions in a bag on their back. As we travel through various cities and towns I wonder about how that particular community cares for it's homeless population. When I see homeless people I wonder "where is your family?" "do you have children?" "if something should happen to you, would the police know who to notify?"

I am blessed, I have never been homeless (with the exception of 6 months when, as a young married couple we CHOSE to travel in our car --with a toddler and I was pregnant-- looking for work...we had income, we had the ability to have a place of our own...to us this was an adventure!!!) I have had a roof over my head, food for our table and a way to cook that good food. I have had friends to call and a phone to call them with. I have family who remember my birthday and homes where we celebrate holidays and share each others joys. Oh, I am blessed.

The homeless. The young (too young) couple who are hitchhiking with a sign stating they are headed to a city 500 miles away...is someone waiting for you there? The pregnant lady with the toddler in a stroller (with a torn seat and broken frame) sitting in the park...are you waiting for it to get dark so you can sneak under the bridge and sleep for the night? Who will care for that child while you take an afternoon nap? The old guy sleeping in the doorway of a closed down storefront...when was the last time someone tipped their hat to you with a "Good morning, sir"? Do your siblings know where you are?

Homeless people have always been a burden of mine. I do what I can, I could do more. Years ago my sons and I were traveling and had stopped at a fast food restaurant off the freeway for a quick bite - just stopping long enough to stretch our legs and re-fuel our systems. There were 3 people, in their early 20's, sitting at a table watching others eat. Nothing to eat at their table. Of course the mother hen in me gathered my little guys closer. We ordered, and then found a table to eat at, the 3 young adults had moved to another table, they were eating...but it became obvious to me that they were eating someone else's leftovers. They were hungry and willing to eat scraps to re-fuel, and they were not begging. I could not eat. My kids ate, I checked my pocket book, just enough to fill up our gas tank to get home-I did not have a dime to spare. After the boys were done I walked by the table they had just moved to-another table they could glean a bit of food from-I sat my tray, with my uneaten meal, down on their table and we kept walking out the door, a faint "thank you" came from one of them. I knew it would not be near enough for the 3 of them. I got the boys buckled in the car, and then cried...and cried. I am now a bit more aware and do a bit more.

Homeless people...sad, so sad.

And now, my burden has grown. I have been watching as Katrina kicks up her heels and is leaving destruction. I am thinking about all those homeless people, the ones who were homeless before this all began, those who took refuge under the bridges, behind a dumpster. They had nothing before and now they have less. I worry about the children who sleep in cars at night, and wash in a gas station restroom... where will they put their little heads tonight?

There will be help for those who own property, there will be help for those who can provide an address...I worry about those who will not "qualify" for various forms of help. I worry about the mentally ill, the throw away people, the runaway youth.

Pray with me for these special children of God. For now, I will do what I can...I am gonna go sew a quilt while praying for the individual who will someday be wrapped in the love and prayers it took to make it.

0 Secrets:

Post a Comment


Blessings! from Pam...

Back to the main page